Saturday, October 10, 2009

Who will you follow?


Luke 11:1-13
1 And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.
2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.
3 Give us day by day our daily bread.

4 And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive
every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.
5 And he said unto them, Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say unto him, Friend, lend me three loaves;
6 For a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him?

7 And he from within shall answer and say, Trouble me not: the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give thee.

8 I say unto you, Though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many as he needeth.

9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?

12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?

13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?




The disciples who knew John, also knew that he taught his disciples how to pray. Now they are asking Jesus to teach them how to pray also. The difference between John's prayer and Jesus prayer had to do with the era of the prayer. John was the forerunner. He was under the law, teaching prayer according to the Law.



Now Jesus was going to teach his disciples how to pray according to this new law of love. Praying like he prayed, from a Father and Son relationship. Later he would tell them that he was going away and when he did, they would have to go to the Father in his name. He also said, I will also send you another comforter, one just like myself, the Holy Ghost.
[John 14 -16]



The Holy Ghost being just like Jesus would always lead in love, and in accordance to God's will. Thus, just like Jesus the Holy Ghost would be a wonderful prayer helper.
[Romans 8]



We have so many people that pray from seats of anger and/or of unworthiness. They pray fire down from heaven, and belt out angry request and suggestions in prayer, or from seats of unworthiness beg for crumbs.




We are not to lift up angry hands or folded begging hands to heaven. No, we are to lift up holy hands, without wrath or doubting according to
I Timothy 2:8.



When we pray should we model after the altar mourners, the so called prayer gurus, those teaching and living under the law, or JESUS through the leading up the Holy Spirit?

I will leave the choice up to you. However, I know who I will follow.


I will follow Jesus every step of the way. The very door that leads me into heavenly realms to access all that I have need of here on planet earth and into a blissful life eternal.