Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Servant-Leader


John 13:3-17
Jesus knew that the Father had put him in complete charge of everything, that he came from God and was on his way back to God. So he got up from the supper table, set aside his robe, and put on an apron. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the feet of the disciples, drying them with his apron.

When he got to Simon Peter, Peter said, "Master, you wash my feet?"
Jesus answered, "You don't understand now what I'm doing, but it will be clear enough to you later."

Peter persisted, "You're not goi
ng to wash my feet—ever!" Jesus said,

"If I don't wash you, you can't be part of what I'm doing."


"Master!" said Peter. "Not only my feet, then. Wash my hands! Wash my head!"


Jesus said, "If you've had a bath in the morning, you only need your feet washed now and you're clean from head to toe. My concern, you understand, is holiness, not hygiene. So now you're clean. But not every one of you." (He knew who was betraying him. That's why he said, "Not every one of you.") After he had finished washing their feet, he took his robe, put it back on, and went back to his place at the table.


Then he said, "Do you understand what I have done to you? You address me as 'Teacher' and 'Master,' and rightly so. That is what I am. So if I, the Master and Teacher, washed your feet, you must now wash each other's feet. I've laid down a pattern for you. What I've done, you do.

I'm only pointing out the obvious. A servant is not ranked above his master; an employee doe
sn't give orders to the employer. If you understand what I'm telling you, act like it—and live a blessed life.



Here you find Jesus operating as servant-leader.
Knowing who He was, and who's he was,
Jesus did not find it difficult to serve in the seemingly lowest positions of the servant.


Most people believe that servant-leader is one with a poor mentality. When I say poor mentality I am talking about people who don't know their value, who don't hold their head up, but this is a misconception. A true servant-leader, knows exactly who they are. They have no problem with holding their heads high.

Servant-leaders are people who know who they are and who's they are, insomuch that they can step in and out of seats of positions without any problem at all.
They can put on scrubs and clean the toilet one day, and the next day put on tailored best and preach to the masses.

Servant-leaders are those who do not allow positions, callings, honors or wealth go to their heads. They are able to set with Kings one day and go to the kitchen and eat with the hired kitchen help the next, never showing partiality.


Servant-leaders use their influence to change people, communities, cities, states, and nations for good.


Servant-leaders are never self promoting, but God promoting.


Servant-leaders continually strive to be trustworthy, self-aware, humble, caring, visionary, empowering, relational, competent, good stewards, and community builders
... according to: The Center for Servant Leadership at the Pastoral Institute in Georgia.

Ten characteristics of servant-leader according to Larry Spears are:
  1. listening
  2. empathy
  3. healing
  4. awareness
  5. persuasion
  6. conceptualization
  7. foresight
  8. stewardship
  9. commitment to the growth of others
  10. building community
Come on Church let's lead by serving!