Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Jesus Praises Children's Workers

To all of those who work with children ... this blog is for YOU!

There is a growing need for children's workers in the local church as well as in other areas of our earthly duties. Many have viewed children's ministry as less important than other areas. This is such a misconception. Children are precious in the sight of God and every new born babe will eventually be a young man or woman. Who will have mentored them? Who will have encouraged them to their seats of greatness? If not those in the body of Christ, then who?

Jesus had a take on the importance of children and children's ministry. Let's take a look.

Mark 9:34-37
34 But they held their peace: for by the way they had disputed among themselves, who should be the greatest.
35 And he sat down, and called the twelve, and saith unto them, If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all (including the children).
36 And he took a child, and set him in the midst of them: and when he had taken him in his arms, he said unto them,
37 Whosoever shall receive one of such children in my name, receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me.


Jesus set the children's worker in the category "Greatest". He did not take this ministry lightly, he was serious about every people group being looked after, telling the disciples, if you receive one of these little ones, you have also received me.

I recall a time when I was working in the local church. I did not know my importance as a children's, worker. I was serving in the nursery, and often being ask to watch children for parents who were working, or had other things to do. Because I was a young mother of two myself, I was feeling like all that I was good for, was to watch children ... (can you hear the frustration ... the low self esteem from not understanding the greatness of my service).

Surly God had a call on my life for something far greater I thought. After all, I had looked after children ever since I was a child, and I was tired of it! I wanted to be important. I wanted to be valued. I wanted to do something effective! I wanted to be in the Light! And then one day ... Jesus came, and put me in the Light.

I had spent Sunday in the nursery, and now Monday had come. I was home with three children. After getting one off to school, two others had to be fed, bathed and dressed. And I was in tears (not knowing my value or the importance of this calling).

As I was finishing up with the last child, I had gotten to the place of rubbing him down with lotion, and dressing him as he was just a baby. As I was putting lotion on that little body, I picked up two little feet and kissed them. I loved the children, but I was frustrated.

I had tears running down my face and I was murmuring and complaining to God. God I know I have a calling on my life, and yet here I am just watching children again. And that is when Jesus came into the room
and put me in the Light.

Sherry, he said, today you have fed me, you have bathed me, dressed me and kissed my feet. As you do unto the least of these have you done unto me. And he was finished ... and so was I.

I was finished murmuring; finished complaining; finished feeling sorry for myself; finished feeling unimportant; finished hurting. Matter of fact I felt great. I felt great, because Jesus had just put me in the light, and placed me in the category of "Greatest".


Children's Ministers, YOU are valuable.
YOU are important.
YOU are called to Greatness!


Just keep remembering that everything you do for the children you are doing for Jesus! Know that you are Center Stage with God. You are nominated for Greatest of All!

To all who do not value children.
To all who abort, neglect, abuse or mistreat children in any way ...
Take heed and repent ... for you have just done your deeds unto Jesus!