Saturday, September 19, 2009

Pray Pray Pray


Luke 18:1
And he spake a parable unto them to this end,
that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;



I recall a time in my life when I was hungry to do the will of God. I was so ready to be in the center of God's will, that I would have stood on my head in the corner of the assembly if that would have helped.


During this phase, an evangelist came to our church and called me forward. I was sure that I was going to get a spectacular word from him. A word that 'I was going to be the next Aimee Semple-Mcpherson, or a female Hudson Taylor.' Maybe, he would say that he had a vision of me going all over the World, and wanted to be the first to extend an invitation for me to go with Him and speak at his next overseas service.


But instead, my message from this evangelist was:
"Pray, Pray, Pray, Pray. Pray, Pray, Pray, Pray. Pray, Pray, Pray, Pray. Pray, Pray, Pray, Pray, Pray. That's your way ~ PRAY!"



Well let me tell you, I came out of my shoes as I was slain in the Spirit. I couldn't get up off the floor. I was stuck there. I couldn't move. But I wasn't happy. I was totally disappointed, and seriously frustrated. The last thing I wanted to hear was that I needed to pray more.


I had spent most of my past ten years praying. I prayed at home. I prayed at church. I prayed in the car. I prayed in the Spirit. I prayed with the understanding. I prayed for me, and my household. I prayed for the church. I prayed for the Nations and Governments, and I was in every intercessory prayer service that we had. I prayed!


I was sure that it was time for me to move on to something more. And now I get this message to PRAY?! I couldn't believe it. No, I didn't want to believe it.


When I finally got up off the floor, I was not jumping up and down for joy over the Word I had received. I resigned to the fact that this man (notice now, it was just a man ... forget evangelist), must have surly missed God. I would soon be headed out to Mission School, and things would be different there. But I am here to tell you that God doesn't change his mind, and when he has a working plan for your life, he sticks to it.


When I got to mission school, I not being one to sit around doing nothing, was there with my hand up when they ask if anyone could help with the cleaning. But I wasn't chosen. Then they offered other opportunities of service. Over and over my hand was up, but never chosen. I resigned this incident to, "God must simply want me to be here to rest from my labors and learn more about my great calling in life!" I was wrong again, imagine that!


Soon, I was in a meeting and a leader handed me an application for the prayer department ... there it was again Prayer!


I half-heartily surrendered, and filled it out, and after turning it in, of course was called. Once again, I found myself praying twice a day in regular mission classes, as well as Wednesday nights in regular corporate services. Friday night was prayer for the nations, not to mention once or twice a week for missionaries, as well as special meeting times with those whom I communicated.



Later we begin to spend time praying out our futures in mission class. Everyone was joining up with others and praying out their great callings, and overseas departures. At this time the Holy Ghost would lead me to join my prayers in getting them over into their destinations.

But ... WHAT ABOUT ME!!!!!



I was more frustrated than ever. I had given myself to prayer, and service to others for over eleven years, and still it seemed I was no closer to what I believed to be my destiny. Until one day, The Holy Spirit spoke to me ... yup ... you guessed it while I was in prayer. And this is what He said, "Sherry, part of your destiny is helping others pray out their plan."


After I graduated mission school. I still did not have a huge oversees assignment. However, I did make a group trip overseas to get my feet wet in foreign soil, and then I received an assignment to go help a Pastor in a neighboring state for about a year.


By this time, I had begin to appreciate the prayer seat, and I was asked by the Holy Ghost to once again take a prayer position in my local church, but this one turned to into a seat next to the Pastor in pulpit capacity. Which latter turned to license and ordination as well as core and executive leadership positions.



Since I have come to both understand and appreciate the prayer seat. My life has been on course. I have prayed out mission trips both across boarders and seas. I have prayed for many to fulfill their plan in life. And I am still praying. Because ... Prayer is My Way!


I hope after reading my testimony, that you gain an appreciation of prayer, and also find rest of any frustrations that your preparation time has seemed to bring you ... because in the end, you will find as I have it is very beneficial to your successful future.


Oh, and by the way ... If Rev. David Ellis happens to read this blog, "Thanks for not missing God when you spoke ' Prayer' over my life!"


Shalom