Saturday, January 30, 2010

One sided relationships



As I was enjoying a site on the computer where people connect and communicate. I was about to comment on a site, when I had a thought ...


"Why would you write on their site, they don't know you."

Now this was true they did not know me. But thoughts provoke other thoughts. So my first thought gave birth another.

"That is right, they do not know me, but they should get to know me, they might like me."
"We might be able to help one another, we might be powerful together."

You may think that was a bit conceited, but I consider it rather confident.

Then I thought: "Hum, they don't know me, but I know them."

You see, I knew because they were an internationally known personality.
I was honored to have been in their meetings (giving of my time and finances to be there).

I had heard them talk (and listened with the intent of doing).
I had purchased their CD's and Books partaking of their ideas, opinions, wisdom and knowledge, as well as their humor.

I knew where they lived and their means of transportation.
I had learned what they liked and didn't like.
I knew about their spouse, children, grandchildren and even parents before them.
I knew where they liked to eat and shop.
I knew their values.

I knew them ... but they did not know me.

How could I have known so much about them, and they not know anything about me?

I invested in them. I had chosen to get to know them. I valued them. I loved them and desired to participate in their life as much as possible, without them personally participating in mine.

But they did not know me.

They had not invested in me, they had not chose to get to know me ... they did not even know to put my face with my name.

They had no idea about my opinions or values. I was just another face in the crowd.

Then this lead me to think:
"This is sort of like God."

He invest in our lives. He knows all about us. He values us enough to listen to us. He knows where we live. He knows our likes and dislikes. He knows our family. He knows where we have been, where we are, and where we desire to go.

He has chosen to see us ... to hear us ... to invest in us! He has loved us!

Just as I had looked into the life of this great personality and knew them; Just as I had chosen to hear them, to invest in them and love them. God has done the same concerning us. And He sees us as great personalities with great potential. We are on the stage of life, invest in us. He knows us!

The question is ... "While He has chosen to know us, have we chosen to know Him?"

It is not until two personalities invest equally in one another that they can they walk together in the fullness of relationship.

How are your relationships?

Are you expecting others to invest in you, and yet failing to invest in them?

Are you wanting to walk in the fullness of relationship with God and others and yet living one sided?

Take time to get to know God.
Take time to get to know people.
You will find it powerful!