Thursday, March 25, 2010

Thoughts That Came As I Prayed For A Friend Of Mine

As I listened to a friends heart recently. I found these words coming to surface.


These are the words to a song that was written by: Pete Townshend ~ Behind Blue Eyes


No one knows what it's like to be the bad man
To be the sad man behind blue eyes
No one knows what it's like
To be hated, to be fated to telling only lies

But my dreams, they aren't as empty
As my conscience seems to be
I have hours, only lonely
My love is vengeance that's never free

No one knows what it's like
To feel these feelings like I do and I blame you!
No one bites back as hard on their anger
None of my pain and woe can show through

But my dreams, they aren't as empty
As my conscience seems to be
I have hours only lonely
My love is vengeance, that's never free

When my fist clenches, crack it open
Before I use it and lose my cool
When I smile, tell me some bad news
Before I laugh and act like a fool

And If I swallow anything evil
Put your finger down my throat
And If I shiver, please give me a blanket
Keep me warm, let me wear your coat

No one knows what it's like to be the bad man
To be the sad man behind blue eyes

If we would learn to listen, we could easily find the heart of men/women. Maybe not in the first few sentences, but eventually their heart speaks.

It is true that a person can lie with words, cover lies with words, cover hurts with words, and even just repeat a nice thought out of a series of words. But the heart will eventually speak out, cry out, or scream out what is really in it!

Jesus lets us know that: "... out of the full store of the heart come the words of the mouth." Luke 6:45 ~ Bible in Basic English

The Message Bible reads like this:
"...The health of the apple tells the health of the tree. You must begin with your own life-giving lives. It's who you are, not what you say and do, that counts. Your true being brims over into true words and deeds."

When I see lyrics to songs like this, of which I am not unfamiliar, I am touched with the pain, confusion and bondage of heart and head. As I hear people sing the songs with passion I hear them too, using these same words to try to sort out their own pain, emptiness and confusion as they cry out for help.

Help that a mere flesh friend or tangible substance cannot offer. The best a friend or substance can offer is a temporary fix that leaves you crying out for another and another. The help that is needed comes from a deeper place, and from a higher source. Yet, help that can be found.

David ... like Townshend had pilgrim moments and wrote pilgrim songs. David was a man, a man after God's heart. Men long for the heart of God, and they cry out in may ways consciously and unconsciously.

David's song went like this:

I look up to the mountains;
does my strength come from mountains?
No, my strength comes from God, who made heaven, and earth and mountains.

He won't let you stumble,
your Guardian God won't fall asleep.
Not on your life! Israel's
Guardian will never doze or sleep.

God's your Guardian,
right at your side to protect you—
Shielding you from sunstroke,
sheltering you from moonstroke.

God guards you from every evil,
he guards your very life.
He guards you when you leave and when you return,
he guards you now, he guards you always.
Psalms 121 ~ Message

From the abundance of David's heart words begin to form into song.

I remember years ago, before I had accepted Jesus as the Christ in my heart. I would write poetry. Poetry that was both dark and light. Tainted poetry; tainted with hurt, angry, bitterness, emptiness, and every lust, and yet a light moment would spark and rise from the deep.

Psalms 42:7 speaks of deep crying to deep, and the message translation says this: When my soul (mind, will and emotions) is in the dumps I rehearse everything I know of you (God)...

And I would rehearse everything all my pain on paper ... that was the tainted part, and then from the place of the measure of faith that is given all men with which to believe in God a voice would arise and I would jot a portion of light. I could not rehearse much of the light, I did not know much of God who is light. And man can not rehearse what he does not know.

So many times men are crying out, they are rehearsing everything they know of God, but the sad part is this: most know little about him ... and few know him.


Jesus told his disciples in
John 8:19 ... Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father (God) also.

Jesus again voices that even his followers did not yet know him in Joh 14:9 ... when he said
... Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

Then in John Chapter 16 Jesus, after being revealed to his followers as the Christ (God), the light embodied. He tells them this in verse 2-3 ...
They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.
3 And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me.

Oh, that men might come to know Jesus, the Incarnate Christ, and call upon him in their time of need. Men who are crying out words as Townshend did in the song "Behind Blue Eyes." Men who need scales to drop and eyes to open that the soul (mind, will and emotions could be freed).

As I gaze back over the words of the song from which we opened this thought, I see a repetitive pattern of "no one knows what it's like."

As in the words of this song, I also hear these words often from those who are not looking to Jesus, or those who are looking to him, but have not yet begin to truly know him by giving their time over to his words and their meditations over to him.

If these who had come saying "no one knows what it's like" had known Him (Jesus), they would understand that "He (Jesus) has not only been touched with the feelings of all their infirmities, but also bore them (took them upon himself), that we might be free of them."

And that He (Jesus) has also refused to leave us here on planet earth alone, but has sent us the person of the Holy Spirit (one just like himself) to help us in our times of need, and to aide us in prayer and meditations when we don't know what to pray as we should. Matthew 8:17, Hebrews 4:4-16 (amplified) Romans 8 also John 14-16 Acts 1-4

Oh, that men might come to know Jesus,
The Incarnate Christ, and call upon him in their time of need.

If you have never received Jesus into your heart by faith. If you do not know Him, you do not truly know light, but you can. Light can be known through the person of Jesus. Simply ask him to come into your heart, to reveal himself to you.

Romans 10:9-10 says:

Because if you acknowledge and confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and in your heart believe (adhere to, trust in, and rely on the truth) that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

For with the heart a person believes (adheres to, trusts in, and relies on Christ) and so is justified (declared righteous, acceptable to God), and with the mouth he confesses (declares openly and speaks out freely his faith) and confirms [his] salvation. ~Amplified

But don't stop with that confession. Get to know Him. How? Spend time in his written Word (The Holy Bible), search the scriptures.

Ps 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Ps 119:130 The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.

Give yourself to prayer and meditation of The Word. He wants to reveal Himself to you. But you must be willing to invite Him in. Invite the light into your life. He will never force himself on you. Many religions and their followers force themselves on you, Jesus waits for you to choose Him, to choose the true light. John 1:1-14

May you day be blessed and peaceful knowing that someone ..."knows what it is like."