Thursday, May 29, 2014

Callings and Ministry

Fifteen years ago this week I drove into Tulsa/Broken Arrow, Oklahoma to start DOMATA School of Missions (with my daughter Paige), who went to DOMATA School of Missions for Children. Under Founders: Pastor Mark And Janet Brazee and School Dean: Pastor Norm Dubois.

My husband stayed back and served a secular job in our support. The same week we left for Oklahoma my granddaughter was born. There is often sacrifice in obedience.

Prior, I had served for several years in a full gospel church and did some radio ministry and also Jail ministry.  Later I took correspondence with RHEMA Bible College (Rev. Kenneth Hagin and Lynette Tipton Hagin) while serving in a local Word of Faith Church. I  have since served some time with Pastor Paul Greer (Trinty Assemble of God/Corydon, Indiana). I also have been licensed and ordained through FCF Ministry (Rev. Pat Harrison).

Today we are still in ministry, with a heart for the nations. I have traveled many countries as well as Co-Pastor Life Fellowship Church with (Pastor Arcie Brown).

I and my family are thankful to all who have been a part of our journey up to this present day ... And to those who will be in our future.

Ministry does not come without cost nor obedience without sacrifice. And when one responds to the call of God it is not signing up for a career.  It is a life commitment!

The gifts and callings of God in a man or woman's life are without repentance. It is walking with a fire in the belly, a deep burn in the soul to carry out the greatest co-mission in planet earth. It is joining together to work with Jesus to accomplish the Fathers will.  Ministry is not to be toyed with or looked upon lightly.

In mission school we were dubbed "The Class of Fire" I can't think of any other class I would rather have prepared under. We were hungry for God. We were excited about the call. We were Aglow and we certainly didn't flag in zeal.

Walking in the word we find the marks of a true Christian in Romans Chapter Tewelve. And if we are to be successful ministers, we first must be successful Christians.
 
Marks of the True Christian


Romans 12:9:

9 Let love be genuine; hate what is evil, hold fast to what is good;

10 love one another with brotherly affection; outdo one another in showing honor.

11 Never flag in zeal, be aglow with the Spirit, serve the Lord.

12 Rejoice in your hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.

13 Contribute to the needs of the saints, practice hospitality.

14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them.

15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.

16 Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly; never be conceited.

17 Repay no one evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.

18 If possible, so far as it depends upon you, live peaceably with all.

19 Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God; for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”

20 No, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head.”

21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.


The reason I made parts of this text bold, is to remind us that ministry can [at times] be unpleasant to the flesh. But when your ways are right in the eye of the Lord. He will back you, and cause you to come out successfully. Men may fall to see your potential or your heart.  But God sees both.

Ministry is not a call unto ones self it is a call to others. It is serving others in love. It is giving yourself over to another, as is written: "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ lives in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." ~ Gal. 2:20

As you walk in ministry you will find that there are many adversaries, but the Lord he is greater than all of these. You will find there are trails of your faith and you will have test in life. But you are more than a conqueror through Him (Christ Jesus) who loves you.

There will be times when you need to get away and allow times in His presence to refresh and revive you, but you will neve walk in ministry without serving or giving of yourself. If you think of ministry as a free ride, or a high paying career that leaves one to float of a bed of ease, you are sadly mistaken. Our lives are lives of Service. Service simply defines as: contributing to the welfare of others not expecting a return from them.

God is enough in our lives. Matter of fact He is more than enough! He will always be our source and supply, as we serve the way he intends; that being a sort of hands on/hands off style of minstry.

We put our hands to the plow of service we are called too, but we take our hands off of those who persecute us, curse us, or come against us from some decptive idea they may have of us.

We allow God to rule over our lives, and he rules well! He will be sure to avenge us if we allow him, but if we take it upon ourself, we will be in the wrong and out from under his ability to aide us.

 He has always looked well after me and my family. He is faithful!

Life in ministry for me has been good ... and I make a conscious effort to continue in faith and service until the return of Christ.  Ministry for me ... is not an option ... it is a call!